The Shippensburg Area Chamber of Commerce was organized in April, 1938, working closely with the local community members and businesses. The first officers elected were Arthur Burkhart, President; Chester West, Vice-President; James Hockersmith, Treasurer; E.B. McClellan, Secretary; and Leonard Fogelsonger became Secretary in June of 1939 until he retired in May of 1968! A total of 68 business and industrial members joined the group in 1938.
In the early 1960s the Ship Chamber was working closely with Shippensburg State College (now Shippensburg University). President Ralph Heiges reported information on new dormitories being built and non-credit college courses available to the community. Information about the Farm-City Banquet being held in November and of course preparing for the annual Halloween parade, plus purchasing new Christmas decorations for downtown were included in past Chamber minutes. Reports on paying for a Fourth of July celebration including fireworks ... information of a Clean Up Day in the spring to beautify the downtown area and making arrangements to enter a contestant for the Ship Fair Queen were listed.
Board Presidents (past 5 years)
• 2011 Donovan Yaukey
• 2010 Chrystal Miracle
• 2009 Lisa Souders
• 2008 Michael Unruh
• 2007 Colby Fry